DREAMS OF MOTHER TRISHALÄ
According to Jainism the dreams are not only thoughts, images and emotions during the sleep; the dreams could be indicative of our past experiences as well as what will happen in future. Some dreams may not be fruitful, but some can be fruitful. Per Jainism, one should not go back to sleep if he/she saw a good dream.
Queen Trishalä, the mother of Lord Mahavir saw fourteen beautiful and wholesome dreams after conception at midnight. Some scriptures say that Queen Trishalä had sixteen dreams.
To summarize the indication of all these dreams is that the child to be born would be very strong, courageous, and filled with virtues. He would be very religious and would become a great king or a spiritual leader. He would reform and restore the religious order and guide all the creatures of the universe to attain salvation. He would also be liberated.
1. Elephant: The first dream Queen Trishalä had was of an Elephant. It was a big, tall, and an impetuous with four tusks. It was an auspicious elephant, and was endowed with all the desirable marks of excellence. It had two pairs of tusks. The color of the elephant was white and its whiteness was superior to the color of marble. This dream indicates that
This dream indicated that she would give birth to a child with exceptionally high character. The four tusks signified that he would guide the spiritual chariot with its four components: monks, nuns, laymen, and laywomen, and save human beings from misery, greed, and attraction of life.
2. Bull: The second dream Queen Trishalä had was of a Bull. The bull was noble, grand, and had a majestic hump. It had the fine, bright, and soft hairs on its body. Its horns were superb and sharply-pointed. The color of the bull was also white, but it was brighter than white lotuses. It glowed with beauty and radiated light all around.
This dream indicated that her son would be highly religious and a great spiritual teacher of great ascetics, kings, and other great personalities. He would help cultivate the religion.
3. Lion: The third dream Queen Trishalä had was of a Magnificent Lion. His claws were beautiful and well poised. The lion had a large well-rounded head and sharp teeth. His lips were perfect and his eyes were sharp and glowing. His tail was impressively long and well shaped. Queen saw this lion descending towards her and entering her mouth.
This dream indicated that her son would be as powerful and strong as the lion. He would be fearless, almighty, and capable of ruling the world.
4. Goddess Laxmi: The fourth dream Queen Trishalä had was of the Goddess Laxmi, the goddess of wealth, prosperity, and power. She was seated on a lotus and wore many rows of pearls interlaced with emeralds and a garland of gold. A pair of earrings hung over her shoulders with dazzling beauty.
This dream indicated that her son would enjoy great wealth and splendor. He would be a Tirthankar, the supreme benefactor of all.
5. Garland of Flowers: The fifth dream Queen Trishalä had was of a Beautiful Garland descending from the sky. It smelled mixed fragrances of different flowers. The flowers bloomed during the different seasons. The whole universe was filled with their fragrance.
This dream indicated that the fragrance of her son's teaching would spread throughout the universe, and he would be respected by all.
6. Full Moon: The sixth dream Queen Trishalä had was of a Full Moon. It was a very auspicious sight. The moon was at its full glory. It was as bright as a star. It awoke the lilies to full bloom.
This dream indicated that the child would help lessen the suffering of the all living beings. He would bring the peace to the world. He would help the spiritual progress of entire humanity at large.
7. Sun: The seventh dream Queen Trishalä had was of the Bright Sun. The sun was shining to destroy the darkness. It was as bright as the flames of the forest fire. The sun rose and ended the evil activities of the creatures who thrive at night.
This dream indicated that her son would have the supreme knowledge and would dispel the darkness of the delusions.
8. Large Flag: The eighth dream Queen Trishalä had was of a Large Flag flying on a golden stick. The flag fluttered softly and auspiciously in the gentle breeze. It attracted the eyes of the all. A radiant lion was pictured on it.
This dream indicated that her son would carry the banner of the religion. He would reinstate the religious order throughout the universe.
9. Golden Vase: The ninth dream Queen Trishalä had was of a Golden Vase filled with the clear water. It was a magnificent, beautiful, and bright vase. It was decorated with a garland.
This dream indicated that her son would be perfect in all virtues and would be full of compassion for all living beings. He would be a supreme religious personality.
10. Lotus-Lake: The tenth dream Queen Trishalä had was of a Lake full of Lotuses. Thousands of lotuses were floating in the lake, and they all bloomed and opened at the touch of the sun's rays. The lotuses had a very sweet fragrance.
This dream indicated that her son would be beyond worldly attachment. He would help liberate human beings who were tangled in the cycles of birth, death, and misery.
11. Milky-sea: The eleventh dream Queen Trishalä had was of an Ocean. Its water rose in all the directions to great heights. The wind blew gently and created the waves.
This dream indicated that her son would have a serene and pleasant personality. He would achieve the infinite perception and knowledge and would escape from worldly life which is the ocean of birth and death and the misery. This would lead his soul to the Moksha (liberation).
12. Celestial air-plane: The twelfth dream Queen Trishalä had was of a Celestial plane. The plane resounded with celestial music. It was saturated with the pleasant and spiritual aroma of the incense.
This dream indicated that all of the Angels in the heaven would respect, honor, and salute her son's spiritual teachings.
13. Heap of Gems: The thirteenth dream Queen Trishalä had was of a Big Heap of Jewels. It was a mixture of all types of gems and precious stones.
This dream indicated that her son would have infinite virtues and wisdom and he would attain the supreme spirit.
14. Smokeless Fire: The fourteenth dream Queen Trishalä had was of a Smokeless Fire. The fire burned with great intensity, but there was no smoke.
Digambar literature indicate that Queen Trishala had sixteen dreams.
15. The fifteenth dream was of a Pair of Fish which indicated that her son would be extremely handsome.
16. The sixteenth dream was of a Lofty Throne which indicated that herson would have a very high spiritual status.This dream indicated that her son would reform and restore the religious order. He would remove blind faith and orthodox rituals. Furthermore, he would burn or destroy his karmas and attain salvation.